Monday, November 5, 2012

#13: The FEARED semicolon!

What is the POINT of a semicolon?

Well... there are so many reasons to know how to properly use a semicolon. Explore the video and websites to help understand how to use a semicolon.

My favorite grammar site is The Oatmeal.

Here are two videos... not the best, but you'll get the point :)

Grammar Vids for Kids:

 Here are some semicolon sentence examples:


  • I watched the Grammy Awards last night; I was pleased that Amy Winehouse won and thought it was a great show this year.
  • I love music; however, I haven’t played my own guitar in several years.
  • I have lived in several different cities: San Francisco, California; Haiku, Hawaii; and Santa Barbara, California.
  • When I was in fourth grade, I won the spelling bee for my entire school and went to the district championships. I practiced every night, memorized all the words on the list, and felt confident that I had a shot at winning; I got nervous on stage and misspelled one of the words even though I knew the proper spelling.
  • I’m fascinated by names and their meanings; Melissa means honey bee.
  • There’s nothing like the gentle drum of water hitting against the window pane; I love the rain.
Your required post:
  • The topic is your choice! However... you have guidelines!
  • You will be incorporating the last two lessons today. 
  • AT LEAST two structured paragraphs! Don't forget to include a topic sentence, detail sentences, and a closing sentence!
  • AT LEAST THREE semicolons throughout your post! 
  • YOU MUST comment on AT LEAST 3 other blogs - TWO of which you have NOT commented on before! If you've commented on everyone's blogs, please choose to comment on someone's blog who you have not read recently. 

No comments:

Post a Comment